2017 Delta Winds
A Magazine of Student Essays
A Publication of San Joaquin Delta College 2017
Table of Contents
- Letter from the Editors
- The Dangers of Fossil Fuels
Amber Feng warns of the economic, social, and political consequences in burning fossil fuels.
- A Foreigner in Rabat: An Analysis of Conformity in Moroccan Culture Using the Concepts of Ruggiero and Allport
Denisse Chacón describes lessons learned about preconceptions and instilled behavior during her travels to the Middle East.
- Positive Influence and Persistence: A Film Review of McFarland, USA
Elijah Martinez finds inspiration in a film's depiction of perseverance in a true story of high school athletes.
- Through the Kill Zone
James Shahan returns from combat in Iraq to face frustrations and desperation before finding his footing.
- Literature's Role in Peace
Christian Echols focuses on Maxine Hong Kingston and her efforts to support veterans of the Vietnam War through writing workshops.
- Making a Short Film
Trellin McCoy provides a step-by-step approach to film projects and alerts readers to working with close friends.
- Complex Characters and Cruel Children in Intermission and Broken
Nicole Gaspar identifies characters who break the mold in two independent films, ultimately challenging viewers' reactions.
- How Depression Affects Romantic Relationships
Alia Asdaq Kawish provides insight into one type of mental illness and how couples can support each other.
- Learning to Read
Elliott Wayne Rinehart thanks the individual who helped him overcome dyslexia and nurture a love of learning.
- Latinos Facing Discrimination: A Review of Becoming Dr. Q
Jose Francisco Espinoza finds inspiration and a shared history of struggle from Delta's most famous alumnus, Dr. Alfredo Quiñones.
- Unreliable Narrators in the Works of Poe
Raymond Mahnke analyzes Edgar Allen Poe's technique of storytelling through the eyes of irrational sources.
- He Never Said He Loved Me
Avigail Eve shares complicated feelings and experiences relating to her father.