This course is designed to help the student develop information literacy skills and to introduce the variety of information resources and information retrieval tools available in academic libraries. The student learns how to develop research strategies and how to utilize library resources and services to effectively retrieve information in this self-paced course. (UC, CSU)
Goals and Objectives:
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will demonstrate the ability to utilize information literacy and information retrieval skills to effectively conduct academic research and facilitate lifelong learning.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a familiarity with library services and the arrangement of the library resources.
- Demonstrate basic information literacy skills and be able to distinguish major types of online searching tools.
- Search effectively the Online Catalog and interpret the information provided on the catalog.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Library of Congress classification system and be able to locate library materials.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the functions of reference tools as well as familiarity with some popular reference books.
- Search effectively online databases and interpret the information provided on the online databases.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze online and print periodical citations and retrieve periodical articles.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop research strategies and retrieve and organize resources for a research paper.
- An Introduction to Library Resources and Services
- A Survey of Online Searching Tools
- The Online Catalog
- The Library of Congress Classification System
- Reference Tools
- Online Databases, Part I
- Online Databases, Part II
- Using Research Strategies and Critical Thinking Skills to Retrieve Information for a Research Paper
Course Learning Objectives
- Given a research assignment, students will identify and utilize citation tools to cite their retrieved sources in one of the major writing styles.
- Given a research topic, students will identify keywords and develop a research strategy.
- Given a research topic, students will find, evaluate, analyze, and organize reputable information sources for a research paper.