Delta College's accreditation reaffirmed by commission
January 28, 2022
STOCKTON — San Joaquin Delta College's accreditation has been reaffirmed by an independent peer-review commission, reinforcing the value of Delta and its commitment to continually improve and better serve tens of thousands of students each year.
The decision came this week from the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Peer-review accreditation is critical to the success of any college and its students. Accreditation assures the public that a college meets certain standards, that the education earned is of value to a student, and that employers and other colleges and universities can accept a student’s credentials as legitimate.
The decision comes almost two years after a peer-review team visited Delta to gather first-hand information about how the College operates.
Shortly after, the Commission reaffirmed Delta’s accreditation for 18 months, praising the College for creating and encouraging engagement, transparency, and innovation through support of students, staff, faculty, and administrators to improve practices, programs, and services.
The Commission also identified two requirements where more work was needed. They were:
- Evaluate student learning outcomes for library and other learning support services to assure their adequacy in meeting identified student needs and use these results as a basis for improvement; and
- Implement a systematic process for tracking and completing performance evaluations at the required intervals, ensure criteria for performance evaluations are documented, and update related Board policies and procedures.
In October 2021, the College submitted a Follow-Up Report documenting progress made in both of those areas. That report was the basis for the Commission’s decision this week to reaffirm accreditation.
In this week’s announcement, the Commission praised Delta for its “diligent work and thoughtful reflection” in addressing its recommendations.
The College is accredited through 2027, with a mid-term report due in spring 2024 and the next comprehensive report due in fall 2026.
- Jan. 27, 2022 letter from the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges reaffirming accreditation for Delta College
- October 2021 Follow-Up Report submitted by Delta College
- December 2019 Delta College Institutional Self Evaluation Report
ABOUT THE COMMISSION
The mission of the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges is to support its member institutions to “advance educational quality and student learning and achievement. This collaboration fosters institutional excellence and continuous improvement through innovation, self-analysis, peer review, and application of standards.”
ABOUT DELTADelta College is a top destination for students in the San Joaquin Valley and Mother Lode wishing to learn a new trade, upgrade their skills, or earn transfer units to four-year colleges and universities. Established in 1963, the College serves over 26,000 students at its campuses in Stockton and Mountain House, as well as online and at satellite facilities across the region. For more information, visit www.deltacollege.edu.