Understanding Your Results
Understanding Assessment Results
Many courses offered through Delta College have assessment level prerequisites or assessment level advisories. When a student's placement level in a subject matches an assessment level prerequisite on a course, it means the student has a likelihood of achieving success in that course. The higher an assessment level placement, the more academic skills a student has demonstrated in a subject. For example, a student placing at Level 5 math has more advanced math skills than a student placing at Level 2 math.
A definition of level placements by subject is as follows:
- Level 3-satisfy advisory on selected courses
- Level 2-eligible for many college level/transfer courses
- Level 1-eligible for Basic Reading Skills and selected courses
- Level 3-eligible for English 1A, Written Communications (UC/CSU transfer)
- Level 2-eligible for English 79, Preparatory English*
- Level 1-eligible for English 78A/78B, Basic Writing Skills
- Level 6-eligible for Math 1, Calculus
- Level 5-eligible for math courses that list Math 92S, Intermediate Algebra STEM or Math 92G Intermediate Algebra, as a prerequisite
- Level 4-eligible for Math 92S, Intermediate Algebra STEM or Math 92G Intermediate Algebra
- Level 3-eligible for Math 90, Elementary Algebra
- Level 2-eligible for Math 78, Pre Algebra
- Level 1-eligible for Math 76, Review of Arithmetic
*Level 2 reading is also required for English 79.
**Six level math course placement system--effective Summer 2012.