Delta Center for the Arts: Jazz Series
Delta Jazz Series
The 2018 San Joaquin Delta Jazz Festival features the Ari Hoenig Trio. This year the festival will be on Saturday, December 1st. The festival is an all-day event sponsored by San Joaquin Delta College and the Division of Arts & Communication. We are inviting Middle School, High School, College Big Bands and Combos to attend. For more information on fees and categories, please see the attached application.
There are significant changes to the festival format this year. Our focus is on education, inclusion and inspiration. To that end, we will no longer have a competition. Instead, we will provide directors and students with positive feedback from world-class musicians. Bands will still receive comments from three adjudicators and a post-performance clinic. The featured concert by the Ari Hoenig Trio will be at 1:00 p.m. in Atherton Auditorium. All students performing at the festival will be admitted free to the concert. Additional tickets will be available to purchase for $15.00. If you are not familiar with Ari, you may visit his website. Ari is one of the most dynamic drummers in Jazz today and his trio will be astounding.
I encourage you to send your application in early to allow for scheduling and organization. Entries will be accepted in the order in which they are received until November 1, 2018. Please note changes on the application form and include one application form for each band attending. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.
There are many new directors in our area and I may not have them on our email list. Please forward this to anyone that may be interested. Thanks so much for your consideration and I hope to see you on December 1, 2018.
- Yellow Jackets (2007)
- Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band (2009)
- Kurt Elling (2010)
- Kenney Werner Quintet (2011)
- Bob Mintzer's LA Big Band (2012)
- Brian Kendrick Big Band with guest James Miley; Patricia Barber Quartet; and the Tom Harrell Quintet (Brubeck Jazz Festival March 2013)
- Espacio with Guest Eric Marienthal (2013)
- jazzReach Metta Quinte, Brubeck Institute Jazz Quintet, and Edie Palmieri (Brubeck Jazz Festival March 2014)
- Pacific Mambo Orchestra (2014)
- Donny McCaslin (2015)
- The Pedrito Martinez Group (2016)
- Sammy Miller & the Congregation (2017)